Thursday 24 January 2013

Phuket - Thailand

 Winter Vacation stop #2 - Phuket

We left KL at 6:55am and arrived in Phuket just over 1 hour later. At the airport we managed to get a pretty nice deal with a travel company. We bought 5 tickets to an activity day for the day after, and he threw in a taxi from the airport to our hotel. Sweet.
We arrived at our really nice hotel and unpacked some of our things. I couldn't wait to get some food down me and as I'd heard that Patong was pretty popular for tourists so I knew that a good old fry up was just around the corner. I could taste the bacon already... anyway. I managed to persuade the others to come try a fry up and we found a decent enough buffet style restaurant near the beach. What we also found was that we were completely and utterly surrounded by westerners. I mean, I'm not SO stupid, I know Phuket is popular, but I honestly didn't think it would be as crowded with Brits, Ozzies, Yanks and Kiwis as it was! It was very strange to be in a South-East Asian country and Winnie, Roger and Cindy (Chinese, Cambodian and Vietnamese respectively) standing out more than I did.
This day was spent on the crowded Patong beach, relaxing, swimming, drinking and for me, multi-tasking. When I say multi-tasking, I mean sleeping and getting burned simultaneously! I was then forced to get a two-hundred year old Thai woman to rub me down with aloe vera plant. Little did Roger and Sam know that their giggling would backfire, as she forced herself and her services upon them too. I think no thanks must mean please rub me down with your plant in Thai! Winnie fell victim, too.





That night, me, my red back and the others went for Thai food at a restaurant across the street from the hotel. The food was great, and at a decent price too. We then walked around and found a bar or two and a local market.



The next day was the day of the trip. We were picked up and taken to fruit garden where we sampled local fruits and delicious local recipes. I tried Musaman curry for the first time, yummy! We were then taken to the place where all the activities would take place, firstly me, Sam and Winnie had our feet eaten by tiny little fish. They LOVED my feet and I did well to not scream out in my gay little laugh! We then watched an elephant and a monkey show. I felt myself experiencing feelings of sadness and shame, more than of enjoyment and amazement. These animals do this continuously, day in, day out for little reward. I actually felt like some sadistic voyeur rather than a impressed tourist. This feeling also deepened as I rode an elephant through the jungle. This elephant was big, and strong and seemed happier and the experience was enjoyable. But as we rode him along the loop which for him was like a goldfish bowl, I also experienced the same guilt and sadness as I had moments before.


After that was over, we all went on the ATVs, which was dusty but so much fun. Roger, Sam and I were trying to over-take each other when the guide wasn't looking (we'd been told not to) and Cindy just enjoyed crashing into me whenever I pressed my brake! After that, came the buffet lunch. We stuffed ourselves with curry and rice and for me, some English tea then on to white water rafting. While the first group of people were taken rafting, we were taken up the mountain to a secluded waterfall and plunge pool. Here we could swim in the lagoon and swing into the water from a rope tied to the tropical trees. Also, some brave people (yes, that\'s me) could jump or dive from the high rocks into the pool. However, I kinda hurt my back doing this. This was cold, fresh water and utterly refreshing! After 30 mins or so we were taken back to base for our turn on the rafts. This was an awesome experience. We must have done something right that day, as just as we were about to set off in the raft, the heavens opened and a tropical rainstorm drenched us through. On the contrary to being disappointed, this added to the experience and we relished the rain soaking us whilst we navigated the rocks and waterfalls of the river. This was amazing fun and an experience I will never forget.




Back at Patong, me, Cindy, Winnie and Roger went for food. We walked around for a while and got so annoyed with ourselves that we chose the nearest restaurant to us. This was a mistake, it looked classy, felt cool, tasted like poo! Winnie felt ill and I was dead on my feet so we went back and passed out. Sam, Roger and Cindy went out and found a bar and somehow stayed out until 5 am! I was 50% jealous and 50% relieved that I didn't. I was so tired that night.




The morning after, Winnie and I went for breakfast whilst the others slept in a little. It was pretty
early so not much was open, so I grabbed a very slow McDonald's, then we went to Starbucks for coffee and pastries. After buying my much-needed Imodium, we got a cab to the port and hired a private speedboat to take us to Koh Racha Yai, a much smaller island off Phuket. The ride was amazing and the beach was something else. After spending a couple of hours in paradise and chatting to a couple who were also teachers in Korea, we moved on to a bay where we could snorkel in the sea. I saw colourful fish, shiny rocks, various creatures and finally, as I was climbing a rock... a lizard. We continued the boat tour by going to Karon island and having a wonderful seafood meal on the beach, while Sam slept off his hangover in the shade.



Back at home, after changing we went out for some phad Thai made by a street vendor, but the tour was cut short by a big downpour of rain so we sought refuge in a 7/11 until it passed. We cut our losses and bought alcohol to drink in the hotel room. On the way back from the port, we had managed to book our transport to the next destination via our helpful (and loud) driver. The next day was the travel to Koh Phangan, the next day is know as the day that shall not be spoken of....
Upon reflection, I was disappointed by Patong. I am tempted to say that Phuket wasn't what I had hoped, however I reduce that to Patong. Patong was like Barnsley but with the sun. I enjoyed the activity day and the island hopping a helluva lot. If were I to come again, I'd steer clear of Patong and look to stay in a less-popular resort, for the authentic Thai experience that has been ripped from Patong and replaced with McDonalds, 'Red Lion' type bars and drink-till-you-puke style attractions that over-cater to tourists.


No comments:

Post a Comment